Purchases made through my links help support this website, at no additional cost to you. Details.
There are as many ways to create, modify & embellish a single-sheet zine as there are artists.
How to Create a Single-Sheet Zine
Here’s a very simple way to create one:
1. Take any white sheet of paper. Pull one out of your desktop printer, or rip one out of a notebook. (Think of the lines as pinstripes!)
2. Fold the paper in half. Most people fold it so it becomes a four-page zine, with each page being 8.5″ tall and 5.5″ wide, but anything’s possible. (Here’s a sample you can download and print: Free Zine #1.)
3. Write and draw (and create other art) on each page, until it’s full. (Alternative: Create your zine, digitally, and then print it.)
4. Flatten the sheet so you can photocopy (or scan) it.
5. Print copies, two-sided (back to back), and fold them. (Optional: Embellish by hand.)
Next, Share Your Zines!
Mail copies of your zines, sell them (at your site or Etsy, for example) or give them to others, sharing your ideas and artwork!
(If you live in a city, especially one with a student neighborhood, go hand some zines out and watch people blink in amazement. They’re used to advertising flyers, etc., not actual gifts of art & inspiration.)
If you want to make and share zines, this is a great start, and one of the simplest ways to make your own zines.
Want to see a more complex zine? Print (free) the 24-Hour Zine Thing zine.